Wednesday, November 19, 2014

We are called to love

1 Corinthians 13-4-8
 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails

Leviticus 19:18
Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.

Mathew 5:43&44 
You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

Mark 12:30&31
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.


The word "love" is written in the NIV bible 551 times. The Old Testament mentions it 319 times, and the New Testament mentions it 232 times. Other versions of the bible, such as KJV, mentions love even more than that! I find it incredible.
God is a loving God, he is "Agape". No one else will ever love with Agape Love, only God can. 

So if God is such a loving God, then why on earth are there murderers? Why are there Abusers? Why are we left with mental and physical pain? I used to ask this question a lot as a young teenager, I believed in God, but I resisted him because of the issues I was going through. I didn't let him explain that in the beginning of the world, everything was perfect, than WE decided to sin. Adam and Eve Made a massive mistake by disobeying God's comand, and we would have done it too. It is much harder to resist Satan than it is to resist God, because God gives us the choice to follow him through Jesus, but sin is (at the time) easier. That is why we Murder, abuse, and go through pain. 

So then what do we do about it? We love.
I've been very angry lately. There are so many awful things happening around the world, and it is frustrating because I feel like I can't do anything about it. ISIS particularly angers me. These people are murdering maniacs. I don't usually believe in the death penalty, but I don't think I'd cry if they all died.
Then God reminds me that he loves ISIS..... Say WHAT? Yep, he loves them, with his Agape love. Why? Because he is God. This doesn't mean that he tollerates their behaviour, and their murdering. He won't let these people go unpunished on judgement day... But he still loves them. So knowing this, I have to get my head around it, and love ISIS too. How do I do that? I pray, and I forgive. 


No comments:

Post a Comment